In any room, the skirting board or plinth is a decorative and functional element that not only makes the interior complete and harmonious but also hides all communications. Regardless of the type of flooring (laminate, parquet, tile, linoleum, etc.), such a detail is a must.
Therefore, it is important to know all the rules and secrets of selecting this element. It is far from always important that the color of the part is a shade darker than the floor covering itself. But the design should coincide with the overall concept of the interior and fit harmoniously. The plinth is made of various raw materials – a tree, plastic, MDF. You can visit Skirting World for the best skirting boards.
The design, size, performance characteristics of all models are different. In addition, the correct installation of the floor plinth is also important, due to which it will last more than one year, and will also be able to fulfill its purpose.
General criteria for choosing a skirting board
When choosing a plinth, consider:
- Production material. Responsible for practical qualities – service life, strength, resistance to external influences, features of care, and installation. The cost also depends on the material. In general, the quality of products is determined by the manufacturer, so it is wise to choose a reliable company;
- Appearance – Color and texture, perhaps a special shape and relief. This is a matter of taste only, plus you can build on the trends for the next season. Basic rules for choosing a color: to match the floor/walls/doors or in contrast to the above;
- Hollow or solid. The answer to the question depends on the concept of the interior, as well as on whether you plan to hide the cable in the baseboard;
- Dimensions – Height (significant criterion) and thickness (not so important). According to the height of the plinth strips, they are divided into low, medium, and high. The numbers are 3-5 cm, 6-9 cm, and 10-15 cm, respectively. A low skirting board is about minimalism and elegance, a medium one is the most versatile, and high models look great in spacious rooms.
Skirting boards from different materials
There are 4 most popular types of plinth:
- Plastic – made of polyvinyl chloride, the price is over affordable, the range of designs and colors is unlimited. Such a plinth weighs little, is easy to install, does not require special care. Key disadvantages – low strength and short service life;
- Wooden – an ecological and very beautiful alternative, durable, long-lasting. Looks presentable and is used with wooden floors. A very durable option for skirting boards, but one of the most expensive;
- Metal – an even more durable type of plinth. Also applies to expensive. Practical and in its own way beautiful finish, which is justified for use in high-traffic areas with aggressive operating conditions (for example, industrial facilities);
- MDF (medium-density fibreboard) skirting boards balance cost, reliability, and aesthetics. More affordable than wood, but almost as environmentally friendly, beautiful, and durable. The service life is slightly less than that of wooden counterparts. They repel water well and are not afraid of exposure to UV rays (due to PVC film).
What will be relevant in 2022 in the interior?
If you’re looking for trends in skirting boards, here’s what 2022 promises:
- Interior decoration welcomes minimalism. This is the most concise plinth in shape, complementing the color of the flooring and walls;
- Skirting boards are even, rectangular, but bends are allowed for certain interior styles;
- The leaders of the color range are light, pastel shades (for example, Avory, Woodline Cream, White, Blanco) and wood textures (Sonoma Oak, Glasgow Oak, Pecan, Mont Blanc Gray);
- For those who don’t like pastels, the good news is that black skirting boards or aluminum models will also be in trend.