Protein is one of the most vital building blocks for our body and offers a wide range of health benefits. It acts as a structural component for our body’s tissues and is extremely important to repair and maintain them. Protein helps build muscles, promotes cell growth, boosts metabolism, strengthens the immune system, improves energy levels, and supports the production of hemoglobin. The intake of protein from diet is easy but not for children as they are picky eaters. This is the main reason why mothers are inclining towards kids protein for their children these days.
Importance of Protein in our body
Every cell in our body is made up of this macronutrient, making it essential for healthy growth and development. Go through all the detailed benefits that we have listed below:
- Uplifts Energy Levels: Lethargy and lack of motivation are common sight among children these days. This happens due to poor diet and lack of proteins. The body requires carbohydrates to generate energy. However, when there is a lack of carbohydrates, the body uses calories from protein to produce energy.
- Helps in Building Muscles: Protein serves as the building block of life and is extremely crucial in building body tissues and maintaining as well as repairing them. Adding protein powder for children to the child’s diet can help ensure a sufficient intake of protein.
- Boosts Metabolism: Kids who don’t feel hungry most likely to suffer from poor metabolism. Protein promotes hormones and enzymes responsible for maintaining the appropriate metabolism levels.
- Promotes cell growth: Protein is a macronutrient responsible for the generation as well as regeneration of body cells. It supports blood replenishment, boosts the healing process, and helps in maintaining the growth of your nails and hair.
- Supports Production of Haemoglobin: Haemoglobin present in the blood is vital to carry oxygen in every body part. Protein boosts the growth of haemoglobin, and this improves the mood of the child as well.
- Improves Immune System: Immunity in children is a significant concern among most parents nowadays. Protein strengthens immunity and helps the immune system to fight against disease-causing viruses and bacteria.
How Much Protein is Required for Your Child?
The requirement of protein varies from child to child, depending on its age and body. Since protein plays such an important role in your child’s growth and development, it is crucial to know the amount of protein required for the healthy functioning of your child’s body. Take a look at the quantities of protein needed by a child at different ages, as specified by medical experts:
|Age of the Child||Recommended Protein Dosage per day (in Grams)|
|0 To 6 Months||6.7 grams|
|6 to 12 Months||8.8 grams|
|1 to 3 years||13 grams|
|4 to 8 years||19 grams|
|9 to 13 years||34 grams|
Dietary Sources of Proteins
Proteins are easily obtained from the multiple dietary sources that are available around us. These include:
- Protein from Plant-Based Sources: For vegetarians also there are plenty of dietary options for protein. These include tofu, soymilk, nuts, peanut butter, legumes, seeds, and soy yoghurt.
- Dairy Food: Milk and Milk products are excellent protein sources. Some examples are – curd, cheese, cottage cheese, etc.
- Meat and Fish: Lean meats like chicken and fishes like salmon are rich protein sources and are a popular choice among parents.
- Eggs: High in proteins, eggs are always recommended by paediatricians. Experts suggest adding eggs to your child’s daily diet.
When Should You Opt for Protein Powder for Children?
Parents are hesitant when it comes to adding supplements or protein powder for children in their child’s diet. However, if you notice any of the following with your child, you may like to reconsider:
- Your child is a Finicky Eater: With picky eaters, making them consume protein-rich foods can be quite a challenging task. The protein powders for children available in the market these days are tasty and come in various flavours that your child will love. They are loaded with healthy protein, easy to drink, and are safe for consumption for your precious one.
- Your Diet is Vegetarian: Making the child consume a protein-rich diet from vegetarian sources adds to the parent’s daily hassles as the protein amount in vegetarian sources is not the same as the non-vegetarian ones. Considering to add protein powder for children in your child’s diet solves this problem, and you can be assured that your child’s daily nutritional intake is sorted.
- You have an Athletic Child: If your child has high physical activity levels, then the protein requirement is higher and must be taken extra care of. Parents of athletic kids can get protein powder for children as it is easy to drink, easy to carry, and delicious.
How Can Health Drinks Fulfill Your Child’s Nutritional Requirements?
Children these days are picky when it comes to food and fall behind in nutritional intake. This is why even paediatricians recommend supplementing protein through health drinks for children to boost the body’s protein intake. Protein powders available these days are incredibly versatile and can be added to shakes, smoothies, muffins, puddings, etc.
Every parent seeks the best for their child and goes overboard to do so. When selecting kids protein for your child, do check out Gritzo SuperMilk for your child. Gritzo is a trusted brand among parents and is known to produce 100 per cent natural health drinks free from refined sugar.
The brand offers three variants of protein powder for children according to different age groups, and all their protein powders include 100% RDA of Vitamin D3 and 45% RDA of Calcium. All the supplements are scientifically formulated and tested for being free from preservatives, colors, trans fat, and gluten. Your child is sure to love its chocolatey flavor.