There are times wherein children have to adjust because of their parents. For example, when a family decide to migrate to a new country because of job opportunity then the child had no choice but to study there wherein they know no one. It may be difficult for them but they got no choice. Thus, as parents, you should do your best to help your kids adjust well in their new school.
There are many competitive colleges and universities as well as international preschools in Singapore so you do not need to worry about the quality of education that your child will receive. However, it is your duty as parents to guide them so they can adjust well mentally and emotionally. In this article, we will discuss some tips on how to help your kids adjust in a new school.
- Include them in the process of choosing school – it would be great to involve the kids in the process of choosing school. You should visit schools with them and hear out their comments or ask about their opinion. This way, you can prepare them so they already have ideas about the new school they will be attending.
- Check the curriculum offered in the school – as parents you want nothing but the best for your children especially when it comes to education. You should check carefully about the curriculum offered in the school and then decide which one offers the best programme that you want for your kids. Some preschools prefer to focus on children’s social skills while others are fully into academic skills that will prepare the kids for the big school.
- Get to know the teachers and other co-parents – it is important to know the teachers that will be in-charge as well as other parents. You should develop good relationship with them so you can work together in giving the best education and experience for your kids.
- Find time to bring and pick them up from school – little kids may be a little shy in the beginning especially that they are new to the school. Some kids don’t even want their parents to leave their sight. Well, you should teach them to be independent but at the same time, you should show support by bringing them to school and picking them up after class. Children truly appreciate this.
- Invite their classmates and friends over at your house – to help them build friendship with other kids, it would be great to invite their classmates over to your house after class or during weekend. You should invite the parents too so you can get to know them while the kids form friendship too.
- Always listen to their stories – lastly and most importantly, you should always listen to your kid’s stories about school, classmates, teachers and how their day at school was. You should show interest so they continue to share their thoughts. It is important that they know that they can count on you and that you are always willing to listen.
Some children find it difficult to adjust to new environment especially if they’ve gotten used to a routine already. With proper guidance and strong support from parents, it’ll be easier for them to adapt to changes.