It’s a known fact that water is the most easily attainable and most abundant natural resource on the planet. It’s a good thing this is the case because water is needed for everyday life. As such, life in itself isn’t just possible without water.
With all its known benefits, water does have its downsides. And the negative effects of damage caused by water could range from mild spillage to downright catastrophe. When it comes to the deadliest natural disasters, water damage has a good shout for the top spot.
Some of the effects of water damage include the warping of building floors due to water creeping in, the formation of molds in your home, discoloration of walls, and so on. The causative factors of water damage include severe weather, poor waste management, pipe leakages, clogged gutters, and so on.
However, we’re not here to preach to you about the dangers of water but rather what to do when faced with the damages caused by the earth’s most abundant resource. Be it your home or place of business, water damage restoration can be made easy if the steps provided in this article are followed.
5 Steps for Water Damage Restoration
When it comes to normal water accidents like spilling a glass on the floor or having water from the tub splash onto the floor, a simple mop or pieces of towels could always do the trick.
However, when the tides are lifted a little higher and water damage becomes even more intense, it might be time to take things more seriously and develop a strategy to combat the damage at hand.
When faced with water damage that cuts across your entire home or place of business, or just your flooded basement, it is not the time to panic but rather use these steps as your friendly guide to water damage restoration.
1. Locate the Source of the Issue
What’s the first step to all problem-solving? That’s right, locating the source of such a problem. The same goes for when you’re faced with a water problem. When you discover a water problem, don’t panic, instead, check for the source of this problem so you can have it removed or fixed.
Clogged sinks or toilets, leaking water machine pipes are typical examples of water damage causes. And some of these damages can be fixed by you. For example, clogged-up sinks can be fixed with a plunger, leaking pipes can be repaired with a pipe patch or clamp kit.
Bottom line is, if you don’t figure out the source of the problem, you won’t be able to come up with a solution. Also, if you are not able to find the source of the water damage, it’s best to seek the assistance of a professional plumber.
2. Check to See If You Have Insurance Coverage
Most cases, homeowners and business owners are lucky to discover that some water damage situations are covered by insurance.
Therefore, before splashing the cash on fixes and repairs, contact your insurance agent and have them come inspect the damage to check what is covered and what is not. Document and take photos of all your damaged properties affected by water for sharing with your insurer.
3. Protect Yourself and Your Belongings
Some water damages are more serious than others, in the case of a flooded basement or a leaking ceiling; you’ll need to move your valuable things to prevent damage. If your cause of water damage is flooding, then you need to evacuate such area under the direction of the relevant bodies.
Water damage doesn’t just affect your home and personal belongings; it is also a risk to your health due to the presence of mold and bacteria. So, if you’re returning to your flooded home, it is important to protect yourself by wearing rubber gloves, coats and boots.
This prevents contact between your skin and the contaminated water, eliminating the risk of health issues.
5. Start the Drying Process
It is important to start this quickly and finish quickly as well. Having all the water in your home dried out within a week is important to reduce the chances of mold formation and vermin infestation.
Here are some useful tips for fast water elimination:
- Remove all furniture from the floor for faster cleaning
- Use fans as well as dehumidifiers to dry out moisture from wet areas
- Subject the wet rugs or carpets or furniture to sun-drying for faster removal of moisture
- Call in a reliable water damage restoration company for professional and quicker assistance. Our go to service in Cincinnati, Ohio is Water Damage Restoration Contractors | Clarke Contractors
6. Deal with the Aftermath of Water Damage
Water damage may be fixed quickly but the effects are usually long-lasting and take quite a while to recover from.
Therefore, you will need to salvage some of your properties while discarding others. Find out what you can save and what needs to be thrown out.
- Look for areas where moisture must have crept in and have those areas thoroughly checked by professionals of water damage restoration if needed.
- Insulation, floor carpeting, wall paintings, and even some furniture may need to be replaced immediately if no longer salvageable to prevent the formation of molds.
- Also seek professional advice on property damage to know how best to repair or replace damaged properties.
What Can I Do To Prevent Water Damage Next Time?
Water damage is one of the most dreaded forms of damages feared by homeowners. And sometimes, water damage is self-inflicted as homeowners tend to misuse water, a lot! But just like every other form of damage, water damage can be prevented through the following precautionary measures:
- Periodical drains and pipes check for faults, clogs, or leakages
- Chimneys should also be inspected regularly
- Always check your water pumps to know if they’re working fine
- Monitor the ceilings and walls for cracks and cover up those cracks immediately
- Maintain water-based appliances like the dishwasher, washing machines, and check for water leakage
Fortunately for homeowners, large-scale water damage doesn’t happen as often as occasional kitchen spills, but when they do, the effects can be pretty overwhelming to deal with. Therefore, following the provided steps will make sure you know what to when such situation arises.