Netflix contains so many great shows and movies. This has made the streaming platform a fan favorite and a common theme in family homes. But just like every streaming platform, not every show on Netflix is appropriate for viewing for the kids.
Some shows contain excessive violence, inappropriate scenes as well as unconventional language. No one wants their kids to get exposed to such at a tender age. Failure to guide the kids through such Netflix shows could have negative impacts on their behavior outside the home.
Children are greatly influenced by what they see and most times, though unfortunate, kids tend to pick up negative behavior faster than positive ones. Therefore, as parents, regulating what your kids see on TV is very vital.
In this situation, parental guidance warnings on the screen may not be enough to deter the kids from watching inappropriate shows on Netflix. Your safest bet is to block such shows on Netflix and we’ve got the know-how to guide you on how to block shows on Netflix.
How to Block Shows On Netflix
The good news about Netflix is that you can now control what shows or movies are available for kids’ viewing. All you need is a 4-digit pin. Here are the steps to follow to block shows on Netflix:
- Log in to your Netflix account as you normally do and click on your profile icon to change profile settings
- Move your cursor over your profile icon in the upper right corner. Select and click on the drop-down arrow that appears. Select “Account” in the menu that follows and click on it.
- Scroll down till you see the option, “Parental Controls” and click on it.
- At this point, your Netflix password will be required. Enter your password and click “Continue”
- Next, click on “Create Pin”. Enter a 4-digit code that’s unique to you and easy to remember. Click “Save” when you’ve completed this process.
- Then scroll down till you see the option that reads, “Restrict Maturity Level”. Select the age level you want to restrict, for example, “Older Kids”. This action will restrict content for users in that age category as well as younger age groups.
- This is the final step. Scroll down till you reach the “Restrict Specific Titles”. A white box will appear, click on it and begin to type the name of the show or movie you want to block. Once the name appears in the drop-down list, click on it and it has been successfully blocked. Repeat this step for every other show you want to block.
If you discover that the blocked shows are still accessible to the age group you restricted, even without the use of your pin, simply proceed to the “Manage Profiles” menu. Click on the profile in question and ensure that the profile is set to the appropriate age group.
If the problem persists, it’s time to give the customer care section at Netflix a morning call.
Another easy method you can use to restrict the shows available on Netflix is to set the maturity level. The following are the steps you need to follow to achieve this:
How to Set Maturity Levels On Netflix
- Go to your account page from a web browser
- Select and click on the “Profile & Parental Controls” settings for the profile you wish to edit.
- Proceed to change the “Viewing Restrictions Settings”
- Enter your Netflix password
- Now you can choose the maturity rating level for the shows and movies you want to allow that profile access to.
- Click on “Save”.
With the final step, TV shows and movies above the maturity level will be excluded from the profile.
Netflix is great fun for the whole family. You can binge-watch your favorite series or sit back, grab a bowl of popcorn and a large soda, and turn your living room into a personal theatre.
However, not every show is great to watch for the young ones in the house so take advantage of the parental control and ensure the kids are guided in their access to the streaming platform.