A dumpster is necessary to cart off debris and dirt. The size of the dumpster you will use will depend on the kind of project you are carrying out, the space available to store the dumpster, the type of waste you need to remove, the weight of the waste, and your budget.
These factors will help you determine the best suitable dumpster size you will need for your project. It is important to know how to calculate the right size of the dumpster because different projects and waste production will require dumpsters of different sizes.
Typical Dumpster Sizes
Dumpsters come in different sizes, which are 10-yard, 20-yard, 30-yard, and 40-yard capacities. The dimensions are measured in cubic yards, which tells how much volume capacity they have.
The different dumpsters will have different lengths, widths, and heights, and below are the sizes measured in feet.
- 10-yard container: 12 ft. long x 8 ft. wide x 3.5 ft. high
- 20-yard container: 22 ft. long x 8 ft. wide x 4 ft. high
- 30-yard container: 22 ft. long x 8 ft. wide x 6 ft. high
- 40-yard container: 22 ft. long x 8 ft. wide x 8 ft. high
To calculate the volume of the dumpster you need, you multiply the width, height, and length in feet and then divide the answer by 27, which will give you the total volume in cubic yards.
Factors To Determine the Right Dumpster Size:
10 Yard Dumpster
The smallest size dumpster is most commonly used to cart away debris from smaller projects because they do not produce a lot of trash. This dumpster is suitable for waste that is not heavy even though it may be bulky.
Some uses for this dumpster size are:
- General or spring cleaning
- Decluttering the garage and attic
- Carrying out one or two-room renovations like kitchen remodeling or bathroom renovations
- Removing small decks of up to 250 feet.
- Removing one layer of roof shingles
- A thorough yard cleaning
20 Yard Dumpster
The 20-yard dumpster is suited for heavier duty jobs compared to the 10 yards one. It can move the equivalent of 10 pickup truck loads of waste. This dumpster size is the most used since it is the cheapest option because of the amount of waste it can contain while being the cheapest for what it can carry.
It is best for projects like:
- Large garage and attic decluttering and cleanouts jobs
- Removing flooring and carpets for large homes
- Larger deck removals typically from 300 to 400 square feet
- Single-layer roof shingle removal of 2,500 to 3,000 square feet
30 Yard Dumpster
The 30-yard dumpster is ideal for large home renovation projects or a new home construction project. The 30-yard dumpster can hold an equivalent of nine truckloads of waste.
Some of the projects suitable for this dumpster are:
- A significant renovation project or a new build
- Demolitions and removals of certain sections of the home
- Cleaning out a whole home
40 Yard Dumpster
The 40-yard container is the largest size dumpster. It is best for large amounts of waste since it carries an equivalent of twelve truckloads of garbage. It is often used for commercial projects as they are large scale.
Some examples of uses for this dumpster are:
- Commercial roofing replacement
- Large residential, multiple demolitions, or commercial demolition
- Commercial landscaping and excavating
- Community clean-up events