There are many reasons for mattress dirtying like breakfast in bed, care for a bedridden patient, small child inconsistency. If bed linen did not protect a mattress from stains, do not rush to buy a new one.
Based on information from Restfaq.com, our article will give you instructions on how to clean the mattress at home with the help of improvised materials.
Depending on stain origin, you may use different types of detergents. They can even remove blood or coffee stains.
How to clean various stains? Recipes.
The earlier you spot the dirt and start acting, the more effective will be the result. Soak spilled liquid with a clean cloth or paper tissue, and use of the following means after it:
Red wine. Sprinkle some baking soda or kitchen salt over the dirty place. In a few minutes wash with a wet sponge.
Juice. Mix lemon acid or lemon juice with cold water in 1:1 proportion. This mixture will cope with the urine and vomit stains on a child mattress.
Coffee. Prepare a solution of 1 teaspoon of ammonia and 1 glass of water. Apply it over the coffee stain and clean in a few minutes.
Grease, cosmetics. Cover the dirty place with a paper tissue, and wipe with an alcohol-soaked cotton pad. Remove the remnants with a damp sponge and washing liquid.
Chewing gum. Freeze it with an ice cube. When the chewing gum gets harder, carefully scrape it with a blunt side of the knife. Then clean it with alcohol through a tissue paper.
A hint. If brown stains still remain on the mattress, bleach these areas with a washing powder without colored granules.
5 methods to remove blood stains
- Spray water and salt solution on fresh blood stains, add 1 tablespoon of salt to 1 glass of water. Soak with a cloth.
- Dissolve 1 aspirin pill in a glass of cold water, clean the mattress with this solution.
- Soak the stain with the peroxide until it starts to foam. When the process is over, wash it and dry the surface.
- Dissolve half a glass of baking soda in a glass of water. Generously soak a white clean cloth in this solution. Leave it for half an hour over a dirty place. Remove the remnants with clean water and dry the surface.
- Take half a liter of water and add 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. Soak a cloth in this solution and put over the bloodstains. When they are wet enough, use a toothbrush to clean them. Wash the cleaned area and dry with a towel.
A hint. To avoid stains after cleaning, dry the area with a hairdryer.
If the mattress has stains and old dirt of unknown origin, it is necessary to clean the whole surface. Prepare the solution with enough foam. For this dissolve some washing powder, dishwashing liquid or carpet and soft furniture cleanser in warm water.
If the filler is polyurethane or coconut, then use a soft brush and thoroughly wipe the fabric along the perimeter. If it is a type of soft filler, remove dirt with a sponge soaked in the foam. After cleaning, soak the fabric with a clean towel, and let it dry in the open air.
How to clean vomit and urine stains from children mattress?
Spots of organic origin can be removed by acids or vinegar. Citric or acetic acid is diluted in water in equal proportions. If the base of the mattress is coconut, soak and rub abundantly in dirty areas. If the filler is soft, minimize contact time with moisture.
Get rid of the smells
The smell of sweat, urine, tobacco can be removed with a special stain remover and baking soda.
Step by step instruction:
- Prepare a stain remover. Put 1 tablespoon of washing powder or dishwashing liquid in the bowl. All half a glass of baking soda and approximately 1 liter of water. Stir well until homogenous solution.
- Pour the solution into the spray bottle or heavily soak a cloth, wet the mattress.
- Apply a 1-2mm layer of soda over the entire surface. Leave to dry for 12 hours.
- After drying out remove the baking soda with a vacuum cleaner.
Regular care and preventive maintenance
To prevent dirty stains on the mattress beat it out once a month by wrapping it with a damp cloth. In this way, the dust will not transform to stains in the event of accidental contact with moisture. To prevent unpleasant odors and improve hygiene, it is recommended to flip the mattress on the other side every week and regularly dry it in the sun.
A hint. Buy a special protective case to maintain the appearance of a new mattress for a long time. It is an irreplaceable thing if you have children and home pets.
The main rule of cleaning is to prevent the filler from absorbing a lot of moisture, otherwise, mold will form from the inside and it will get deformed. If stains are very persistent, try specialized detergents. In case you are not sure that you will cope with the cleaning yourself without damaging fabric color and structure, contact specialists. They will safely and inexpensively clean the mattress using special equipment and professional detergents. Cleaning mattresses and carpets at home is much cheaper than buying a new product.