By now, you’re probably aware of the plethora of health benefits that CBD provides. From being anti-inflammatory in nature, to antioxidant and neuroprotectant…many of CBD’s effects are ideal for aiding the aging community. CBD benefits can also help to hide the signs of aging, too. While CBD may seem like a modern era trend it’s proving beneficial for old-age conditions like onset delayed diseases, chronic pain, stiff joints and even wrinkles. So, let’s explore the world of CBD for aging and anti-aging and see how its natural properties can help ease, or turn back time.
Before we explore CBD’s for aging let’s brush up on how CBD actually works. Cannabidiol, or CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system which is a network of receptors. The system is responsible for regulating feelings like pain, mood, inflammation, amongst others. CBD attaches to these receptors and affects the way they work – essentially administering the effects that CBD can provide, from the inside, out.
CBD & Anti-Aging
Beyond working with the endocannabinoid system, CBD also interacts with free radicals found within the body. A term often heard in regards to skin-care, free radicals originate from metabolic processes onset by pesticides, smoking, radiation and even, the sun. Free radicals are synonymous with skin-care or anti-aging because they cause collagen to break down. And what happens when collagen breaks down? Wrinkles, and fine lines can appear.
Which is why it’s good to know that CBD counteracts free radicals that exist in your body, and that cause those common signs of aging. When CBD decreases the amount of free radicals present in your system, you’ll retain healthy levels of collagen therefore reducing wrinkles or fine lines.
Not only that, but CBD is well-known for being anti-inflammatory. So it should be noted, that another cause of wrinkles is the puffiness of skin. With CBD decreasing inflammation overall, you can expect to see less creases or fine lines as well.
Lastly, age lines and wrinkles can form due to the drying up of oil glands. It just so happens, that the endocannabinoid system also helps to regulate these glands. CBD specifically affects the gland that is responsible for producing ‘sebum’, or secretions of oil. When producing healthy amounts of oil secretion, you’ll see a reduction in dryness and wrinkles overall.
Aging Diseases and CBD
In addition to skin deterioration, many diseases or conditions like Alzheimers, arthritis and Parkinsons appear in older ages. After years of wear and tear, chronic pain often increases with age, too. Here we’ll review common ailments associated with aging and how CBD can specifically help each.
- Alzheimers – Alzheimers is caused primarily by neuro inflammation found in the brain. Recent studies show that CBD’s anti-inflammatory effects are effective at reducing this detrimental brain inflammation. CBD also interacts with the central nervous system and is proving effective at reducing the signs of dementia.
- Parkinsons – Common symptoms of Parkinson’s disease are psychosis, tremors and problems sleeping. Which are all treatable by CBD acting as an inverse agonist in the brain. By working against specific neuro receptors, CBD is effective at calming the severity of these common Parkinson’s side-effects.
- Glaucoma – Increased intraocular pressure, or IoP is a cause of the eye condition, Glaucoma. One of the natural benefits of CBD is reducing IoP, overall.
- Osteoporosis – A recent study concluded that CBD strengthens bones, and helps bone fractures heal faster. CBD is active in the promotion of cell regeneration, which aids bone health as well. It also reduces inflammation which can assist achy bones or stiff joints.
- Arthritis – Speaking of stiff joints, another condition CBD is helpful at treating the symptoms of, is Arthritis. Not only does CBD’s anti-inflammatory effects help deflate problem areas, but it also acts as a nerve protectant. This prevents nerve damage and provides effective pain relief for the condition, too.
- Cardiovascular conditions – Inflamed blood vessels, and lungs can occur over time and cause a multitude of cardiovascular issues. But, once again…CBD’s anti-inflammatory traits can play a helpful part. By reducing inflammation in these systems, CBD can lower high blood pressure which can reduce the risk of a heart attack. CBD is also a natural antioxidant which works positively against oxidative stress by reducing the death of cells.
Apart from these specific health conditions, CBD is successful at addressing two other issues that come along with growing older. Problems with sleeping, and chronic pain. In a recent study, amongst seniors who were surveyed the majority cited ‘pain relief’ and ‘better sleep quality’ as CBD’s biggest benefits. In fact, 61% of the participants reported a reduction in pain when using CBD.
With that said, let’s review the rise in use amongst seniors and how they’re using CBD to treat common elderly ailments.
Increasing CBD Use Amongst Seniors
Many adults are turning to the health benefits of CBD for aging as a plant-derived and natural source of healing. Especially in direct contrast to common prescriptions that can come with debilitating side-effects and can cause internal damage when used over extended periods of time.
This is shown by Medicare reporting a drop in written prescriptions, after CBD was legalized and in states that have legalized the use of cannabis. Recently, fewer prescriptions were written for prevalent conditions like depression, pain, anxiety and other chronic issues amongst Medicare recipients and opioid prescriptions also decreased.
Mikhail Kogan, M.D.,the medical director at George Washington University Center for Integrative Medicine who prescribes CBD to patients said this on cannabinoids, “(they are) safer than Tylenol or caffeine by tenfold. If you compare them to opiates, they’re about 10,000 times safer.”
Another reason, seniors are turning to CBD is to gain the health benefits that cannabis can provide without the high of THC. The increase of availability and increasing ingestion options have also helped. In one survey it was shown that seniors primarily ingest CBD via tinctures, edibles and capsule forms. These methods remove the stigma of ‘smoking’ or ‘vaping’, which only 10% of respondents noted they do. Topicals are also growing as a popular application, especially among those addressing skin issues or aches and pains, like arthritis.
Growing Old with CBD
No matter what your age, scientific studies and research is increasingly proving the positive effects and health benefits of CBD. With the power to relieve pain, address common ailment symptoms, and improve the health of your skin…it’s no wonder why aging adults are using CBD more than ever before. If you’re looking to heal or soothe with natural CBD qualities check out Natures Pure full line of high-quality CBD products, now.