Broken heart quotes are always a tough read.
Everyone that has had his heart broken knows that it’s one of the most heartbreaking experiences ever.
But, while time heals the wounds in the broken heart, reading some of the best and truthful broken heart quotes is also helpful. Here is a selection of our best, broken heart quotes – specially chosen to mend your broken heart.
Broken heart quotes from literary figures
They sure know a thing or two about broken hearts. Writers and literary figures. Some of them used their pain, their angst and their broken hearts as themes in their books.
Some just offered advice on how to mend it. Never the less… Great art came out of it.
1. The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night’s sleep. – Margaret George
2. Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option. – Mark Twain
3. I know that’s what people say—you’ll get over it. I’d say it, too. But I know it’s not true. Oh, you’ll be happy again, never fear. But you won’t forget. Every time you fall in love it will be because something in the man reminds you of him. – Betty Smith
4. Love is blind, but a broken heart sees everything. – Matshona Dhliwayo
5. The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever. – Carroll Bryant
6. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something. ― Elizabeth Gilbert
7. You can die of a broken heart — it’s scientific fact — and my heart has been breaking since that very first day we met. I can feel it now, aching deep behind my rib cage the way it does every time we’re together, beating a desperate rhythm: Love me. Love me. Love me. – Abby McDonald
8. The heart is the only broken instrument that works. – T.E. Kalem
9. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishing. – Anais Nin
10. Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure. – Herman Hesse
Actresses and actor’s quotes about broken hearts
They are known for the scandals, sordid affairs and public divorces. But actors and actresses are humans too, and they also go through the heartbreak of a broken heart. Here are some of the best, broken heart quotes from the Hollywood stars.
11. There are many stages of grief. It’s sad, something coming to an end. It cracks you open. When you try to avoid the pain, it creates greater pain. I’m a human being, having a human experience in front of the world. I try really hard to rise above it. – Jennifer Aniston
12. I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. – Marilyn Monroe
13. Am I lonely? Yes. Am I upset? Yes. Am I confused? Yes. Do I have my days when I’ve thrown a little pity party for myself? Absolutely. But I’m also doing really well. I’d be a robot if I said I didn’t feel moments of anger, of hurt, of embarrassment… [but] You joke and say, ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. – Jennifer Aniston
14. I’m not sure what the future holds but I do know that I’m going to be positive and not wake up feeling desperate. As my dad said ‘Nic, it is what it is, it’s not what it should have been, not what it could have been, it is what it is. – Nicole Kidman
15. You can allow yourself 72 hours of wallowing time. Then you’ve got to get into the gym, stop eating the ice cream and move on. – Jennifer Love Hewitt
16. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things could fall together – Marilyn Monroe
When I was first going through my separation, someone said to me, ‘It will take you half as long as you were in the relationship before you’ll feel better.’ And I wanted to knock them out cold across the table. Because, of course, I was in agony. And the last thing I wanted to think was that I was going to stay that way for a long time. But interestingly enough, it is over four years later — we were together eight years — and I finally feel like, cool. I feel better. – Uma Thurman
17. When you have to face up to the fact that marriage to the man you love is really over, that’s very tough, sheer agony. In that kind of harrowing situation, I always go away and cut myself off from the world. Also, I sober up immediately when there is genuinely bad news in my life; I never face it with alcohol in my brain. I just rented a house in Palm Springs and sat there and just suffered for a couple of weeks. I suffered there until I was strong enough to face it. – Ava Gardner
18. Your heart just breaks, that’s all. But you can’t judge or point fingers. You just have to be lucky enough to find someone who appreciates you. ― Audrey Hepburn
Broken heart quotes from famous movies
And speaking of Hollywood…. No broken heart experience can be complete without the movies that the Hollywood actors and actresses make in Tinseltown. Some of the movies about the heartache of a broken heart are quite brutal, but they are also timeless and relatable.
19. A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark. ― Annie Hall
20. I’ve got a job to do, too. Where I’m going, you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. Ilsa, I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that. ― Casablanca
21. It’s too late, Diana. There’s nothing left in you that I can live with. You’re one of Howard’s humanoids. If I stay with you, I’ll be destroyed. Like Howard, Beale was destroyed. Like Laureen Hobbs was destroyed. Like everything, you and the institution of television touch is destroyed. You’re television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You’re madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure and pain… and love. ― Network.
22. I have to leave you now. I’m going to that corner there and turn. You must stay in the car and drive away. Promise not to watch me go beyond the corner. Just drive away and leave me as I leave you.”
“I don’t know how to say goodbye. I can’t think of any words.”
“Don’t try.” ― Roman Holliday
23. This misery can’t last… Not even life lasts very long. ― Brief Encounter
24. People change. A person may like pineapple today and something else tomorrow. ― Chungking Express
25. My husband and I fell in love at first sight… maybe I should have taken a second look. ― Crimes and Misdemeanors
26. A heart can be broken, but it keeps beating just the same. ― Fried Green Tomatoes.
27. Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable… ― Wizard of Oz
28. Since she left, everything in the flat is sad. Everything needed lulling to sleep. ― Chungking Express
How did you like our selection of broken heart quotes? Were they helpful and informative? If you liked them, make sure you share them with your friends.