Austin Mold Removal: The Risks of DIY Mold Removal

If you’re dealing with a mold infestation and you’re either in a rush or you’re looking to save money, you may have considered removing it on your own. In this guide, we’re going to take a look at what you need to know about Austin Mold Removal, including the risks of doing so and the benefits of opting for a professional.

Should You Try to Remove Mold on Your Own?

If you’re dealing with a tiny amount of mold in between your bathroom tiles, then there’s nothing wrong with removing it on your own. However, if you’re dealing with a full-on mold infestation that is damaging your walls, you may be better off opting for the help of a professional.


One thing to consider is that the most common household cleaner for big problems, bleach, is not fully effective at stopping mold. While bleach will slow down the growth of mold for a short time after you apply it, it will not kill the mold, and it may even end up giving you a false sense of security.

Household Disinfectants

If bleach doesn’t work, then you may think that household cleaners and disinfectants are the next logical step. Unfortunately, the truth is that most household cleaners are simply not powerful enough to deal with a resilient organism like mold, and some of them may even end up feeding the infestation.

While you may be able to remove the surface-level mold with a disinfectant and plenty of scrubbing, you likely won’t get to the source of the mold, which is usually inside of walls or in other dark places. Once again, these can give you a false sense of security when it comes to mold.


Fungicide sprays are the only good DIY approach to dealing with mold, but you will still only be able to access the visible spots of mold. If you’re trying to get to the mold’s source, then you’ll need to break into your walls so that you can remove the dormant sources, which is usually a lot to ask in a DIY job.

Rare Cases When You Can Remove Mold on Your Own

In some cases, you may be able to deal with minor mold infestations on your own, especially if it’s on a tile surface where there is no deeper penetration into the home’s structure. Make sure that you have no respiratory issues and that you’re not allergic to mold before you start removing it.

We also recommend wearing gloves, protective clothing, and a respirator while you’re removing surface-level mold to ensure that you don’t end up dealing with any potential health problems.

Why Opting for a Professional is Better

Professionals are trained to find dormant and active mold sources and to eliminate them once and for all. This ensures that you won’t end up potentially dealing with any mold issues in the future. They are also trained to repair the spots that mold damage in your home after the job is done.

Image source: Unsplash