A child’s bedroom… The place where children begin to form their independence, their first refuge and sanctuary. You can learn a lot about a child by just seeing his or hers bedroom… If they even have one. The truth is that around the world there are children who struggle in extreme poverty or enjoy the benefits of abundant wealth. No matter how much we want to we can not chance a child’s fortune or misfortune.
Who we are and what kind of people we become in the future depends a lot on the childhood and upbringing we have. Photographer James Mollison has captured the lifestyles of over 50 children form around the world by taking their portrait and a picture of their room. Then he gathered all those images into made a photo essay about those children’s lives which he called “Where Children Sleep”.
The contrast in these powerful images will leave you speechless.
1. Jaime, 9, New York, USA
2. Anonymous, 4, Rome, Italy
3. Alyssa, 8, Kentucky, USA
4. Bikram, 9, Melamchi, Nepal.
5. Delanie, 9, New Jersey, USA
6. Bilal, 6, Wadi Abu Hindi, The West Bank
7. Dong, 9, Yunnan, China
8. Juan David, 10, Medellin, Colombia
9. Anonymous, 9, Ivory Coast
10. Douha, 10, Hebron, West Bank
11. Hang, 5, Beijing, China
12. Indira, 7, Kathmandu, Nepal
13. Jazzy, 4, Kentucky, USA
14. Jyoti, 14, Makwanpur, Nepal
15. Jivan, 4, New York, USA
16. Lamine, 12, Bounkiling Village, Senegal
17. Joey, 11, Kentucky, USA
18. Lehlohonolo, 6, Lesotho
19. Justin, 8, New Jersey, USA
20. Nantio, 15, isamis, Northern Kenya
21. Lay Lay, 4, Mae Sot, Thailand
22. Li, 10, Beijing, China
23. Kaya, 4, Tokyo, Japan
24. Prena, 14, Kathmandu, Nepal
25. Risa, 15, Kyoto, Japan
26. Rhiannon, 14, Darvel, Scotland
27. Roathy, 8, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
28. Ryuta, 10, Tokyo, Japan
29. Syra, 8, Iwol, Senegal
30. Thais, 11, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
31. Tzvika, 9, Beitar Illit, West Bank
32. Tristan, 7, New York, USA
If you have children who don;t like where they sleep, show them these images. It will give them a whole new perspective and appreciation to their rooms and their family.
Share this post with your friends by clicking on the sharing buttons below.